Hotel humbug - reuse your towels.

Robert Olcott tolcott at epix.net
Wed Sep 17 08:42:01 EST 1997

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 07:12:24 -0600, ghashly at bigfoot.com wrote:

>I am annoyed by hotels that have notices in the bathroom that
>ask you to help the environment by reusing towels. Some go to
>great lengths to explain how much waste is generated by washing
>towels. It is clear to me that the hotels wish to save money
>by not washing the towels - there is no mention of other wasteful
>practices that hotels engage in. This is humbug!

	I work with an International firm that promotes the re-use
of towels. Do you use your towels only once at home?
Resources are  being saved which you said is explained.  It
certainly is true that the facility is saving money which
translates into lower operating costs which in turn maintains
lower room fees. If a hotel is promoting this energy saving and
enviromentally responsible concept, then chances are several other
conservation methods are being practiced as well.  Did you bother
to inquire about other implemented conservation measure? I doubt
it otherwise you wouldn't feel compelled to complain.

>If the Hotel provided a token every time that the housemaid
>didn't take towels to be washed and this could be exchanged
>for a discount, then I would believe that they truly care about
>the environment.

Believe it or not, tokens are not needed to count the number of
towels that are washed.  Commercial laundries keep pretty accurate
accounts of the amount washed in pounds of material throughput.
	Promoting enviromental responsibility may inconvenience a
few but benefits everyone.
	Robert Olcott, Energy Conservation Consultant for HVS
Int'l, Eco Services