how to make the phylogeny tree readable?

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Sat Sep 27 15:02:19 EST 1997

In article <60grq4$ekl at net.bio.net>, Michael Man  <mman at bios.unc.edu> wrote:

>I have generated a phylogeny tree from a large set of sequences (250)
>using PROTPARS and DRAWTREE programs in PHYLIP.  But the names of
>sequences on my tree are too small to read.  I have tried to use different
>font files without any improvement.  Can anyone suggest a better way or
>different program to solve this problem?

As the author of both programs, here are my suggestions.  If the objective is
just that you are able to read the tree, look at the version printed on the
output file ("outfile") of ProtPars.

If you want to make it more publication-quality, try using the menu of
DrawTree to increase the size of the labels.  But with that many species (250)
you will have a hard time getting everything visible.  If you could spread
your tree out of many sheets of paper that will help.

There is a pre-release version of the next Drawtree in directory "tempdir"
of our ftp server, as C code.  This can do multiple-page trees.  However it is
C code and you need to compile it (say, on a workstation).  No, we can't
compile it for you.

You could also save the tree to a file that can be read by a drawing editor
of some kind, then use that to resize the labels and move them around.
The new pre-release version can mark the labels so they will be treated by
some drawing editors as single objects rather than collections of lines.

Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu