Help me stand up for Darwin

Ed Rybicki ed at
Wed Apr 1 09:24:22 EST 1998

> From:          Louis van de Zande < at>
> Subject:       Re: Help me stand up for Darwin

>     From: Ingvald Straume <ingvald at>
> Here is a nice example how adaptation works in practice. How to get
> creationist ideas into a moderated newsgroup. An then to recall that
> this moderation was installed just to get rid of these postings. I
> have to hand it to them.....nice thinking. Moderators.....your move.

Pardon me, but as one of probably many who replied to the teacher in
question, I regarded his post as a genuine plea for help in the face
of a hostile and well-organised indoctrination campaign waged by
fanatics.  I regard myself as being sufficiently well-educated as to
be immune to infection by that particular set of memes; consequently,
seeing them occasionally does not harm me.  On the contrary, it
reminds me that as practicing biologists we should be willing to
share knowledge /arguments with people who genuinely need to know.

Good call, moderators!
                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time..."