Boostrap vs. Jackknife

Tim Bushnell bushnt at rpi.edu
Mon Aug 17 11:54:20 EST 1998

I have been doing a lot of reading recently about phylogenetic analysis,
in partcular using 16S rRNA molecules for phylogenetic studies in
bacteria.  One thing that has struck me is that in all cases I have read
only bootstrap analysis is performed to examine the robustness of a given
tree.

I have played with some sequence data doing both bootstrap and jackknife
(using PHYLIP SEQBOOT) analysis.  I have noticed that there are not real
differences in the support for a given node in either case +/- 1 to 3%.

Is there any reason for the extensive use of the bootstrap and almost
competely ignoring the jackknife?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or comments.

Tim Bushnell