Primitive Multicellular Evolution?

Eric Moon ed.moon at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 24 10:00:13 EST 1998

I would like to know what field of biology focuses on the science of
primitive multi-cellular life forms.  Specifically, the stage at which
cells were cooperatively binding, specializing, and competing for
resources, but prior to their collective reproduction as a species.

Further, would this same field also delve into the details of
reproductive technology evolution.  I am interested in learning about
the very earliest multi-cellular biological stages leading toward
species specific reproduction.  In other words, the primitive societies
of cellular life traceable in time to their successful destiny as mature
species.

Also, can anyone recommend a good book or reference on this subject?

Interested layman