Graduate Study in Evolutionary Genetics at Arizona

C. William Birky, Jr. birky at u.arizona.edu
Fri Dec 4 13:24:37 EST 1998

GRADUATE STUDY IN EVOLUTIONARY GENETICS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA

The University of Arizona has a strong group of faculty in evolutionary
genetics in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and the
Graduate Interdisciplinary Program in Genetics.  We invite applications for
graduate study from students interested in all aspects of evolution and
genetics, including molecular evolution, population genetics, and
quantitative genetics.  Our faculty have interests spanning theoretical and
experimental approaches; microorganisms, animals, and plants; evolutionary
mechanisms and evolutionary history.  We interact with an
outstanding group of colleagues in ecology, organismal biology, and
molecular biology.  Doctoral students are supported for five years of
graduate study through research and teaching assistantships, and
fellowships from the NSF, The University of Arizona, and local foundations.
Many of our faculty and students conduct research in the neotropics and in
local habitats ranging from the Gulf of California to the Sonoran desert
and adjacent mountain ranges.  For further information please see the EEB
web page at http://eebweb.arizona.edu/ and the Genetics web page at
http://eebweb.arizona.edu/Genet/Genweb/.  For application materials contact
Joan Zokvic, Graduate Secretary, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary
Biology, Biological Sciences West, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721,
or Karen Hill, Administrative Assistant, Genetics Program, Biological
Sciences West, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721.  Prospective
graduate students are also encouraged to contact faculty members directly.

Faculty include:

Bill Birky -- evolutionary mechanisms; evolution of organelle genes and
asexual organisms -- birky at u.arizona.edu

Mike Hammer --  molecular population genetics, Y chromosome, hominoid
evolution -- mhammer at u.arizona.edu

John Jaenike -- host-parasite interactions, X chromosome drive and
intragenomic conflict -- arrives Fall 1998; until then send e-mail c/o
dcmartin at u.arizona.edu

Margaret Kidwell -- molecular evolution of transposable elements --
kidwell at u.arizona.edu

Wayne Maddison -- phylogenetic methods and their application to
evolutionary history and mechanisms -- wmaddisn at u.arizona.edu

Teri Markow -- ecological and behavioral genetics of Drosophila,
speciation, mating system evolution, human genetics -- arrives Fall 1998;
until then send e-mail c/o dcmartin at u.arizona.edu

Rick Michod -- theoretical population biology; levels of selection, sex and
individuality -- michod at u.arizona.edu

Nancy Moran -- molecular evolution, endosymbiotic bacteria, insect
evolution -- nmoran at u.arizona.edu

Michael Nachman -- population genetics and genetics of speciation --
nachman at ut.arizona.edu

Howard Ochman -- molecular evolution of bacterial genes and genomes,
evolution of virulence -- hochman at u.arizona.edu

Bruce Walsh -- theoretical population genetics, quantitative genetics,
molecular evolution, genome evolution -- jbwalsh at u.arizona.edu

C. William Birky, Jr.
Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Chairman, Graduate Interdisciplinary Program in Genetics
Biological Sciences West
The University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85745
office phone: 520-626-6513