Codon rate ML models

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Fri Dec 11 11:35:47 EST 1998

In article <74ptu1$i57 at net.bio.net>,
John Huelsenbeck  <johnh at brahms.biology.rochester.edu> wrote:
[a most useful summary of the availability of models for Ml phylogenies
using codons, but I need to correct one detail:]

>I believe that DNAML has/had a feature allowing the user to assign
>sites to different categories, each with its own potential rate. Perhaps
>a citation of the PHYLIP manual may be appropriate.

DNAML in PHYLIP 3.5 does not do this.  DNAML in the previous version
did (v3.4) and in the next version it will be restored.  A beta release
should be out soon.  We eliminated it to make room for Hidden Markov
Model assignment of rates, but next we will add it back in while keeping
the HMMs too.

Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu