Population size and molecular clock?

Jose Mª Muiño jmaria at teleline.es
Wed Dec 30 13:41:28 EST 1998

Ludvig Mörtberg escribió en mensaje <7604h0$7d9 at net.bio.net>...
>Does population size affect the speed with which the clock ticks?

        I think so. Ayala proved that the variability affect the speed of
evolution. The population size is affected for the heterozygosity. And the
heterozygosity is connected with the variability.

>Assume that the mutations are neutral and must be fixed or lost in a
>population through genetic drift. Any clues? I read a genetics book
>about this but couldn't figure it out.

    It is easy, if you known that the variability and the speed od evolution
is connected (Ayala 1969, I think). If you have a population of 10.000 ind.
and all of them are identical, the population size effective will be small
and the variability too, therefore the speed of evolution will be small too.

    PD: Excuseme my bad english.