Evolutionary Genetics at Arizona

C. William Birky, Jr. birky at u.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 7 13:54:33 EST 1998

GRADUATE STUDY IN EVOLUTIONARY GENETICS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA

The Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of
Arizona has a strong group of faculty in evolutionary genetics.  We invite
applications for graduate study from students interested in all aspects of
evolution and genetics, including molecular evolution, population genetics,
and quantitative genetics.  Our faculty have interests spanning theoretical
and experimental approaches; microorganisms, animals, and plants;
evolutionary mechanisms and evolutionary history.  We interact with an
outstanding group of colleagues in ecology and organismal biology.
Doctoral students are supported for five years of graduate study and many
of our students are also supported by fellowships or research funds from
NSF, The University of Arizona, and local foundations.  Many of our faculty
and students conduct research in the neotropics and many conduct research
in local habitats ranging from the Gulf of California to the Sonoran desert
and adjacent mountain ranges.  For further information please see our web
page at: http://eebweb.arizona.edu/.  For application materials contact
Joan Zokvic, Graduate Secretary, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary
Biology, BioSciences West Bldg., University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721.
Prospective graduate students are also encouraged to contact faculty
members directly.

Faculty include:

Bill Birky -- evolutionary mechanisms; evolution of organelle genes and
asexual organisms -- birky at u.arizona.edu

Mike Hammer --  molecular population genetics, Y chromosome, hominoid
evolution -- mhammer at u.arizona.edu

Margaret Kidwell -- molecular evolution of transposable elements --
mkidwell at ccit.arizona.edu

Wayne Maddison -- phylogenetic methods and their application to
evolutionary history and mechanisms -- wmaddisn at ccit.arizona.edu

Rick Michod -- theoretical population biology; levels of selection, sex and
individuality -- michod at u.arizona.edu

Nancy Moran -- -- molecular evolution, endosymbiotic bacteria --
nmoran at u.arizona.edu

Michael Nachman -- Population genetics and genetics of speciation --
Nachman at ccit.arizona.eduM

Bruce Walsh -- theoretical population genetics, quantitative genetics,
molecular evolution, genome evolution -- jbwalsh at u.arizona.edu

C. William Birky, Jr.
Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Chairman, Graduate Interdisciplinary Program in Genetics
Biological Sciences West
The University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721
phone: 520-626-6513