Repeats in retrotransposon LTRs ends

ipsingh lall ipsi9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 12:15:08 EST 1998

Dear Netters,
Hi!
I have a general query about the structure of the long terminal
repeats (LTRs) of the retrotransposons and retroviruses. What is the
significance of inverted repeats (perfect or imperfect) present at the
terminals of the LTRs.
Also please advise me how to find out various promoter elements
present within the LTR sequence as LTRs serve as promoters for the
retrotransposons (I have cloned a retrotransposon from a plant Cajanus
cajan; its 5'LTR is of 372 nucleotide long and 3'LTR is 383 nucleotide
long with an insertion of 11 nucleotides or may be 11 nucleotides have
been deleted from the 5'LTR) and about other relevent analysis to
perform to get an idea about its functioning.

Thanx a lot
Bye for now
IPSingh