Help with reference

newsmgr at merrimack.edu newsmgr at merrimack.edu
Fri Jan 16 18:45:56 EST 1998

Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.evolution
Subject: Help with reference
From: "Fred Rickson" <ricksonf at bcc.orst.edu>
Date: 16 Jan 1998 23:10:27 GMT

Dear All,

In my General Biology class I have mentioned that "some" study reported
that if some product of  mitochondrial physiology is measured, the general
efficiency will be higher if the starting soup is of bacterial origin than
from the eukaryotic cells from which the mitochondria arise.  This was
given as evidence of the early bacterial origin of present day eukaryotic
mitochondria.  Now someone would like a reference, and wonders why such
preference is still around given the amount of time since incorporation as
an endosymbiont, and I haven't a clue as to where I got this.  I usually
have marginal notes for such information just in case a students wants
more....but not this time.  I really don't think I was dreaming on this
one, but need HELP.

Thanks for any help.

Fred Rickson