Possible subject on evolution...

newsmgr at merrimack.edu newsmgr at merrimack.edu
Fri Jan 16 17:29:30 EST 1998

Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.evolution
Subject: Re: Possible subject on evolution...
From: "Matt Fain" <mattfain at siu.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:45:47 -0600

Thanks for the refs.  This is a topic that I hadn't heard about
since undergrad bacterial genetics, and I must say at the time I was
surprised at the attention it received, as well as incredulous of
some of the claims made.  Anyway, I had just recently been wondering
about the current state of the controversy again last week as I
prepared a lecture for an intro evolution class on mutation.  Thanks
again!

Matthew Fain

January Weiner wrote in message <69lc5j$ssb at net.bio.net>...
>[D.]:
>> Hi all,
>
>> Can anyone suggest a good topic concerning evolutionary emphasis
and is
>> fairly controversial.
>
> Maybe the directed mutation controversy?
> There have been some new articles in Nature last year concerning
>this subject. Here are some older references to start with:
> Sniegowski and Lenski, 1995. Mutation and adaptation: the directed
>mutation controversy in evolutionary perspective. Annu. Rev. Evol.
Syst.