Direct and Indirect repeats in the LTRs of retrotransposons

Inderpal Lall ipsll at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 12:16:11 EST 1998

Hi everybody

I have a general query which seems interesting to me. I have cloned
and sequenced a retrotransposon from a plant. It belongs to
the family of LTR retrotransposons and has two LTRs of 372 and
383 bp. The LTRs show numerous direct and indirect repeats of
upto 14 bp present all over the LTR sequence. I am not able to
understand why the LTRs which act as promoters for the
 retrotransposons should contain such a high
number of repeat sequences. Is there any function associated with them
or is there any evolutionary significance of them in these special
DNA sequences.
 Please enlighten me.
Bye for now
IPSingh