Help me stand up for Darwin

Ingvald Straume ingvald at nordi.no
Sun Mar 29 17:36:05 EST 1998

<moderator's note: Readers will please restrict responses to the newgroup
to issues dealing with molecular evolution.  Of course, readers are free
to provide resources and other arguments in favor of evolution to Ingvald
Straume by e-mail.>

Hi!

I'm a Norwegian secondary scool teacher. I'm teaching biology and
physics at my school.

Now, some of my pupils are being feeded with creationistic ideas by some
pseudo-scientists who have been visiting their local christian
community. The problem is that I am not able to defend the
evolution-theory on scientific basis. My knowledge is to short. And
these crazy ideas are starting to spread among the pupils, and also it
seems that some some of my colleagues are getting to rely on some of
this creationistic propaganda stuff. I fear that I, and also biological
science itself are being brought to discredit.

The arguments that I am not able to stand up against are as follows:

1) "Even thoug micro-evolution has been proved by Darwin and many times
since, there is no prove what so ever to the existance of
macro-evolution. Macro-evolution is an erroneous interference, and there
is no scientiffic reason to assume a correlation between micro- and
macro-evolution."

2) "Evolution contradicts the second law of thermodynamics."

3) "It is very unlikely (impossible) that complex stereo-isomeric
molecules in nature arise from non-organic material by accident."

4) "According to information-theory, information (as in our genes)
cannot increase itself or derive itself from nothing."

It is asserted that this makes evolution from lower species to higher
specises impossible.

5) "Birds could not have evoluted from reptils. Because their presumed
ancestor, with wings by wich they yet not could fly, would not be fit in
the struggle for existance."

(Some of my pupils have humiliated me with this and many other similar
examples, and I have not been able to refute them.)

Please, somone, help me! Give me some good scientiffic arguments that
will prove to the contrary  these allegations .

Yours

Ingvald Straume
(modestly desperate secondary school teacher)