Percent identity for numerous comparisons

Elisa Eshbaugh eshbaugh at mcn.net
Mon May 4 19:08:30 EST 1998

Hello all and thanks to those who can make a suggestion...
I am calculating %identity (amino acid and nucleotide) among 43
different taxa representing 4 subfamilies of a gene family. This means
that by the time I have done every possible pairwise comparison there
will be hundreds. There's really no problem in doing this, but it kind
of eliminates the potential for putting all the information in a nice
little table. If I want to extract as much information as possible, but
eliminate any less than necessary work, what might be some criteria for
eliminating some of the comparisons?

Thanks again.