Sequence Alignments on the WWW or FTP

Brian Foley btf at t10.lanl.gov
Tue May 12 13:49:36 EST 1998

Dear molecualr evolutionists,

	I just went searching for pre-built multiple sequence
alignments on which to test some phylogenetic software.

	I found quite a few sets available on the WWW
by searching YAHOO (http://www.yahoo.com/)  for
"multiple sequence alignment".  However, I did not find
the same format at each site, and most sites provided
text formats from which comments and annotations needed
to be removed prior to re-formating for analysis.
	It would be a huge help, if we could all agree
on a format (such as FASTA format) that could be saved
and retrieved for analysis, as well as the text formats for
human reading or printing.
	At the HIV Database, we try to provide both text
and more machine-readable formats for our alignments.
Is FASTA format the "industry standard" or are there reasons
to use another format?

|Brian T. Foley               btf at t10.lanl.gov                       |
|HIV Database                 (505) 665-1970                         |
|Los Alamos National Lab      http://hiv-web.lanl.gov/index.html     |
|Los Alamos, NM 87544  U.S.A. http://www.t10.lanl.gov/~btf/home.html |