Sequence Alignments on the WWW or FTP

Dr B. L. Cohen b.l.cohen at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed May 13 10:06:36 EST 1998

In article <6ja5k0$qbk at net.bio.net>, Brian Foley <btf at t10.lanl.gov> wrote:

> Dear molecualr evolutionists,
>
>         I just went searching for pre-built multiple sequence
> alignments on which to test some phylogenetic software.
>
>         I found quite a few sets available on the WWW
> by searching YAHOO (http://www.yahoo.com/)  for
> "multiple sequence alignment".  However, I did not find
> the same format at each site, and most sites provided
> text formats from which comments and annotations needed
> to be removed prior to re-formating for analysis.
>         It would be a huge help, if we could all agree
> on a format

a propos this comment, we have a paper in press (Systematic Biology, due
September), that NEXUS file format should be adopted as standard by
phylogeneticists archiving multiple sequence alignments:

Cohen, B. L., Sheps, J. A. & Wilkinson, M. 1998 Archiving phylogenetic
alignments as NEXUS files. Systematic Biology Submitted, in press.