Am I a Cladist?

Mike Syvanen syvanen at ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 3 11:46:25 EST 1999

[Moderator's Note: While I do not want to squelch this interesting
discussion, I would like to take this opportunity to ask that participants
in this newsgroup exercise a degree of self control -- I realize that for
some readers of this newsgroup there are strong feelings on this topic.
Please refrain from ad hominem attacks.

I (in consultation with my co-moderator) regard the message below as
appropriate for this discussion. But I am concerned that some response may
extend beyond the pale -- these will not be posted. This decision is at
the discretion of the moderators.

Enough said?

End of Moderator's Note]

"James McInerney, Zoology" wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Perhaps you can help me.  Following a recent lively discussion at the
> Natural History Museum in London, I came to the conclusion that I might
> be a cladist.

You do not want to be a cladist.  That carries historical baggage with
connotations of zealot, fanatic, ideologue and just plain dissaggreeable.
Besides if you have any interest in the temporal pattern of  change, you have
already been excommunicated.

Mike Syvanen