basic question

lukesg at frb.gov lukesg at frb.gov
Fri Feb 19 11:54:11 EST 1999

In article <7aeppq$kto at net.bio.net>,
  "SH at OLIN©" <W.J.Koning at chem.uu.nl> wrote:
>> For the process of evolution DNA must become more complicated. I
>> understand that isn't always the fact due to mutations like deleting
>> mutations. But here comes my question:
>> "What processes make DNA MORE complicated?"

>"Things evolve from the primitive, through
>the complicated, to the simple". (Thanks, Doug Rawlings).  That is,
>they have stripped their genomes down, got rid of all or most introns
>and duplications, minimised "junk" DNA - and are as sophisticated as
>we are in terms of single-cell control of internal processes.

I would only add, that evolution progresses from the primitive to the
complex to the simple, in waves of increasing organizational complexity.
Primitives provide the building blocks for complexity and simplification
provides new primitives for further complexity in a bootstrapping process.

The process of complexification seems rather easy to explain.

>One is gene duplication.  The duplicate genes may then evolve
>independently, and the two may come to work together and depend on each
>other.
>Pete

>I've developed a possible objective model for progressive evolution in: The
>Hierarchical Genome and Differentiation Waves: Novel Unification of
>Development, Genetics and Evolution (publication planned for April, 1999).
>Yours, -Dick Gordon

Thermodynamically, duplication (or any other generative process) creates a
larger space of possibilities and variation naturally expands to fill the
void. What is more mysterious to me is how complexity is simplified in a
computationally tractable way (without reference to some kind of external
control)

The combinatorial search characteristics of discovering intelligent simplicity
seem more difficult.

I would be interested in any speculation that anyone (especially Dick and Ed)
have on what processes might be involved.

Guy