SOLUTION OF INTRON EMERGENCE AND PRION PATHOLOGY PROBLEMS USING NEW

Gunar Chipens chipens at osi.lanet.lv
Sat Jan 9 14:24:24 EST 1999

We have a new  approach and methodology (comparative amino acid and
nucleic acid codon root analysis) based on the second genetic (i.e.,
amino acid interaction) code structure to investigate and resolve the
problems of intron and gene emergence and to study structural/functional
organization of proteins. Our investigations have not only theoretical
but also some practical aspects and we are interested to study the
organization of  genes and proteins which are involved in inducing
neurogenerative diseases and apoptosis of nerve and immuno system cells
(e.g., prions, superantigens, HIV gp120, amyloid precusor, etc.).
We have revealed that exon and protein structures are rudimentary
regular and are formed from repeat units while intron positions in genes
are not random. The ancestors of genes have had symmetric exons with
introns in the phase zero. To develop the investigations in these
directions (including elaboration of principally new methodologies of
gene and protein analysis and synthesis of peptides – apoptosis
inducers) we would like to get a financial support from European
Community (EC) the Fifth RTD framework program. According to the demands
of EC we are looking for partners in Europe working in the above
mentioned fields, who also would like to participate in the 5th
Framework Program to coordinate the investigations and discuss the
problems. We search also for partners who could test the apoptosis
inducing activity of prion and other protein fragments.

Prof. Gunar Chipens

E-mail: chipens at osi.lanet.lv