Help needed with tree drawing....

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Sun Jan 10 14:15:46 EST 1999

In article <778a96$8q0 at net.bio.net>,
Mark Payton  <mpayton at molbiol.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>Please  could I have some simple pointers into tree drawing, with DNA and
>protein-based sequences.
>
>I am new to this game, so some simple introduction is in order! Internet
>pages? Simple programs which use alignements obtained through clustal
>alignments would be a great start.

To start, there are a number of programs for drawing (pictures of)
trees.  They require that you already know the tree.

I suspect that by "drawing", though, you meant inferring the tree and
_then_ drawing a picture of it.

The best introduction is probably the article by Swofford et. al. in
the 1996 2nd edition of Hillis, Moritz, and Mable's volume
"Molecular Systematics".

The best place to search for programs (there are many) is my own
web site on Phylogeny Programs:
  http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/phylip/software.html

There are, incidentally, many molecular biologists in Oxford with
experience in all this.  For even more sophisticated advice go over to
Paul Harvey's lab in the Zoology department and talk to any of
his people.

Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu