"Forced" endosymbiosis

David Lloyd-Jones icomm5 at netcom.ca
Fri Jul 23 10:50:15 EST 1999

David Horner wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone else had noted the name of the "symbiotic
> micro-organisms" giving rise to "the force" in the new Star Wars
> movie..........."midichlorions".  Hmmm.......I wonder if that symbiosis
> occured prior to the divergence of all extant eukaryotes.

I haven't seen the movie, but those guys seem to know their science well
enough.

Some writer recently wrote into one of these groups asking for help
designing an alien, and I suggested humanoids come to be with the help of
a different race of mitochondria someplace else in the Galaxy. Or some
other.

Seems like a pretty obvious idea.  They would be utterly unlike us to their
very fundament. Which is not to say they wouldn't spend their time watching
soap operas or fighting traffic...

                                           -dlj.