phylogeny tests

Byron J. Adams bjadams at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 11 11:42:55 EST 1999

>Dear colleagues,
>
>will you be able to help me?
>
>I need informations on the following tests :
>Templeton or Willcoxon-Templeton Test
>and
>Griffith-Test.
>
>I would like to know about purpose and scope of these methods, perhaps
>literature and also sources for obtaining corresponding programmes.
>
>Thanks for bothering,
>
>Johannes Woestemeyer

As I understand it, given a particular data set, Templeton's test asks
whether character changes on one tree are significantly different
(more/less parsimonious explanation of the data) than character changes on
another tree.

Templeton's test is described in:  Templeton, A.  1983.  Phylogenetic
inference from restriction endonuclease cleavage site maps with particular
reference to the evolution of humans and the apes.  Evolution 37:221-224.

Larson explicitly describes and demonstrates Templeton's test in:  Larson,
A.  1994.  The comparison of morphological and molecular data in
phylogenetic systematics.  In: Molecular Ecology and Evolution:  Approaches
and Applications, B Schierwater, B Streit, G. P. Wagner, & R. DeSalle, eds.
Birkhauser Verlag Basel, Switzerland.

Larson describes how to do Templeton's Test using McClade and PAUP, but it
is much more easily implemented in PAUP*.

I'm not familiar with the Griffith test.

Byron
Byron J. Adams
Department of Nematology
One Shields Avenue