distances in years

Brian Foley btf at lanl.gov
Tue May 18 19:20:07 EST 1999

Chris Botka wrote:

> I have a user who has constructed a tree using PAUP.  She would now
> like to represent the distances between the sequences in years.

	If you have the phylogenetic distances from PAUP or
PHYLIP or any other method, you also need to know the rate
of change per year for this gene in this organism to
calculate time from genetic distance.
	Otherwise, the fossil record or other physical
evidence can be used to put dates on a tree.
	Keep in mind that the distance vs time plot is
not linear.  An organism that evolves at roughly 1% per year
will not change 100% in 100 years.  The variable sites will be
mutated many times, while invariant sites do not change at
all.

|Brian T. Foley               btf at t10.lanl.gov                       |
|HIV Database                 (505) 665-1970                         |
|Los Alamos National Lab      http://hiv-web.lanl.gov/index.html     |
|Los Alamos, NM 87544  U.S.A.                                        |