Best DNA extraction kit for plants?

Guy Hoelzer hoelzer at unr.edu
Wed Nov 17 13:13:32 EST 1999

I have a student extracting DNA from the leaves of an invasive weed called
Tall White Top.  She has been using the Qiagen plant extraction kit, and
grinding each sample twice in liquid nitrogen because it substantially
improves our yield.  However, it takes so long to do a set of extractions
in this way that she has several hundred hours of DNA extraction ahead of
her if she continues using this protocol.  Because I want her to complete
her Masters thesis in this lifetime, I am looking for an effective kit or
protocol for this kind of extraction that might substantially speed up the
process.  Any suggestions?

--
Guy Hoelzer
Department of Biology