Systems used for biological software

Mary K. Kuhner mkkuhner at kingman.genetics.washington.edu
Mon Nov 29 17:59:39 EST 1999

A few weeks ago I asked readers about their preferred
operating systems for running large pieces of biological
software (such as my LAMARC package).  This is a summary
of the email I received, in case it's useful to other
software developers.  Thank you to everyone who responded!

When people listed more than one system/OS I included
all that they listed:

Mac systems 9
Unix systems (including Linux, Solaris, Digital Unix) 8
Windows (NT and/or 98) 2

This surprises me a little as my database of registered
LAMARC users has a much more even split between Mac and
Windows, with few Unix registrations.  I wonder whether
there is a discrepancy between people who register the
program and people who find they can actually run it. :-(

Five respondents mentioned being able to use Perl scripts,
one mentioned being able to use Java, two mentioned being
able to use cshell scripts.

It sounds as though Perl might be the best current way
to write linking scripts to hook together programs, though
it still won't be completely portable.

Mary Kuhner mkkuhner at genetics.washington.edu
Department of Genetics, University of Washington