Question Regarding Bootstrap

Luis luismms at mail.telepac.pt
Sun Oct 17 11:16:26 EST 1999

I was wandering if there is a relation between short branches and low
bootstrap values for the adjacent nodes, it seems to me that the shorter
the branch the lower will be the bootstrap value for the node from where
it comes. Does this always happen, and does the contrary happen for long
branches? If this is true wouldn't bootstrap go against it's first
intention of providing a mean for estimating sampling error, since if we
add invariable positions to  sequences the bootstrap values would
decrease even though we increase the sampling?

Thank you

Luis