Question Regarding Bootstrap

James McInerney james.o.mcinerney at may.ie
Thu Oct 28 13:24:28 EST 1999

A Mitchell wrote:

> James,
>
> Yes I understand your point about variance, but there is a paper in the
> literature (Bull et al.?) suggesting that 500 bootstrap replicates is
> sufficient for most purposes. One million just seems way out there...
>
> Andrew

Andrew,

Oh, yeah, you are right, of course, but I'm just saying in this
four-taxon case you can perform the bootstrap enough times so that you
get the _real_ value.  I'm really talking about doing it an infinite
number of times, so 500 should be fine.  ;)

I have no special insight concerning how many replicates are enough and
I haven't read the paper, so I'm  just happy to err on the side of caution.

I :) have ;( to 8-) stop 9( using those smiley faces.

regards,

James.
---