Patristic distances

Vijay Aswani vaswani at
Fri Aug 4 11:30:28 EST 2000

I am trying to produce patristic distance matrices, hopefully from PAUP or
phylip tree files with branch lengths. PAUP* lets you produce such a matrix
but only parsimony as a criterion.

So far, the only program I could find to do this is TREDIS which runs in DOS
and has been crashing a lot. Does anyone know of any programs to do this? I
would be willing to write something myself, if someone would help me with
the logic of how to extract pairwise distances from the tree file.
Alternatively, can anyone suggest some pseudocode I could use to write a
program to do this?

Vijay Aswani, Ph.D.
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute,
Unit 0948
APO AA 34002-0948
Tel: +507-212-8824
Fax: +507-212-8790