Patristic distances

P.D.Olson P.Olson at
Wed Aug 9 04:39:11 EST 2000

> > I am trying to produce patristic distance matrices, hopefully from PAUP or
> > phylip tree files with branch lengths. PAUP* lets you produce such a matrix
> > but only parsimony as a criterion.

	Be careful--PAUP* ignores unordered multi-state charactes in
its calculations of patristic distances and thus greatly
underestimates them (despite the fact that it produces
parsimony-based branch lengths that are correct).  I'm curious to
know why(?)

>If you have access to a Macintosh, the new version of my program
>TreeEdit can create patristic matrices from trees. It can write
them in PHYLIP or NEXUS format.

	Sounds much easier than Philippe's MUST package!!!!!

Department of Zoology
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD UK

Office: +44 (0)207 942 5568