measuring distances by amino acid composition

James McInerney james.o.mcinerney at
Mon Jan 10 11:47:52 EST 2000

One of the programs in the molphy package calculates amino acid distance matrices.
There is a reference ot it on Joe Felsenstein's webpage:

I can send you a macintosh version of my program GCUA that will do this,
although it needs fasta-formatted protein-coding DNA sequences as input
(it converts to proteins and then calculates a distance matrix).

Thorsten Burmester wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anybody know a program that measures the metric distances of
> proteins by their amino acid compositions? Preferably one that can read
> alignment files. I don't want to do this work by hand...
> Thorsten
> --
> Thorsten Burmester
> thorsten at

             Dr. James O. McInerney,
Dept. Biology,                       Dept. Zoology,
Natl. Univ. Ireland,                 The Natural History Museum,
Maynooth,                  and       Cromwell road,
Co. Kildare, Ireland                 London SW7 5BD, UK.
Phone +353 1 708 3860                +44 171 938 9163
Fax   +353 1 708 3845                +44 171 938 9158
email james.o.mcinerney at       j.mcinerney at