gene transfer and acquired metabolic path ?

David B.Hedrick davidbhedrick at icx.net
Wed Mar 1 23:31:08 EST 2000

Crepineau:

	I've seen it claimed that the original eukaryote that took on the
original endosymbiote was actually an Archea.  I haven't heard how this
turned out, but if true, then there is an excellent example in the
membrane lipids.
	Archea use isoprenoid ethers for membrane lipids, while Bacteria and
Eukarya use ester-linked fatty acids.  The isoprenoids are built up with
4-carbon units, fatty acids with 2-carbon units.  A lot is known about
these systems, so you would have data to work with.

--
		~DBH

Technical writing, literature search, and data analysis at the interface
of chemistry and biology.

	davidbhedrick at icx.net

	David B. Hedrick
	P.O. Box 16082