gene transfer and acquired metabolic path ?

Mike Syvanen syvanen at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 2 19:20:09 EST 2000

Crepineau wrote:

>     Hello,
>
> I am looking for exemples where an eukaryote acquired a whole metabolic
> path (for exemple biosynthesis of a compound) from a prokaryote. I know
> of endosymbiosis but I would like exemple swhere there is nothing left
> of the endosymbiont ( cryptic or transient endosymbiosis ? )
>
> Do you have any idea or reference ?

Takaya et al have written "Fungal denitrification, a repsiratory system
possibly acquired by horizontal gene transfer from prokaryotes" that
appears
in Horizontal Gene Transfer (http://www.wkap.nl/book.htm/0-412-79310-5).

If you don't have access to the book, look up Fusarium oxysporum and the
above author in biosis, there might be some other paper.

Mike Syvanen

---