MoST port to Linux?

Erich Schwarz emsch at its.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 30 01:12:03 EST 2000

    Has anybody out there ever successfully ported the MoST program
of Tatusov et al. (PNAS 91(25):12091-5) to Linux?  I have been
intermittently trying to do so, each time getting further before the
compilation hangs, but would be awfully happy not to have to go for
another round.

    My reason for asking is that my empirical experience is that MoST
on a somewhat old SunOS4 machine was more useful for iteratively scanning
protein databases than HMMER on Linux.  HMMER is a very fine program
but it seems to have more mathematical power than speed.  psi-BLAST is
OK, and I may end up falling back on it, but it's frustrating to have
had a lot of success with an older piece of software and now find it
difficult to migrate.

--Erich Schwarz / emsch at its.caltech.edu
---