Parametric bootstrapping

Thomas Buckley tbuckley at duke.edu
Thu May 4 14:52:55 EST 2000

Hi Vijay,

The parametric bootstrap test is powerful, in the statistical sense.
However, it may become too liberal if the model you use to generate the
sequences is too simple, relative to the "true model".  So, we can attempt
to minimize this potential error by using a complex and presumably realistic
substitution model.  The effect of inappropriate model assumptions has been
shown in simulations (Huelsenbeck, 1996?), and in only one empirical study
that I know of (Sullivan and Swofford, 1997).   In my experience the null
distribution is very strongly effected by the model used, and so the power
of the test changes markedly with the substitution model used. So, I think
you raise a good point that requires further study.

Thomas

--
Thomas Buckley
Zoology Department