phylogeny programs

rodgers at onramp.net rodgers at onramp.net
Mon Aug 13 15:51:25 EST 2001

I'm interested in "succint" comparison/critique of the various
algorithms/programs available for phylogenetic-type sequence analyses.
I understand this may be like asking for a "succint" critique of
Mozart, but still...
    In particular - is there a way to assess the "error" or confidence
level in a tree?  I understand there are some outputs that indicate
the percentage of bootstrap trees that give the final tree shape.
   Also- how does one interpret the vertical and horizontal distances
in rooted dendograms as, for example, output from Treeview?
   -John Rodgers, a novice.
   Baylor College of Medicine

---