phylogeny programs

James McInerney james.o.mcinerney at
Wed Aug 15 09:48:21 EST 2001

on 13/8/01 5:51 pm, rodgers at at rodgers at wrote:

> I'm interested in "succint" comparison/critique of the various
> algorithms/programs available for phylogenetic-type sequence analyses.
> I understand this may be like asking for a "succint" critique of
> Mozart, but still...
> In particular - is there a way to assess the "error" or confidence
> level in a tree?  I understand there are some outputs that indicate
> the percentage of bootstrap trees that give the final tree shape.
> Also- how does one interpret the vertical and horizontal distances
> in rooted dendograms as, for example, output from Treeview?
> -John Rodgers, a novice.
> Baylor College of Medicine
> ---

You can check out the Molecular Systematics and Evolution website:

where we have powerpoint presentations, pdf files, help files, manuals,
practicals, a glossary and more, relating to phylogenetic inference methods,
their biases, problems associated with them, and more.

Dr. James O. McInerney,
Bioinformatics and Pharmacogenomics Laboratory,
Department of Biology, National University of Ireland,
Maynooth, Co. Kildare, Ireland.
P:+353 1 708 3860
F:+353 1 708 3845
M:+353 87 6480102