phylogeny programs

James McInerney james.o.mcinerney at may.ie
Wed Aug 15 09:48:21 EST 2001

on 13/8/01 5:51 pm, rodgers at onramp.net at rodgers at onramp.net wrote:

> I'm interested in "succint" comparison/critique of the various
> algorithms/programs available for phylogenetic-type sequence analyses.
> I understand this may be like asking for a "succint" critique of
> Mozart, but still...
> In particular - is there a way to assess the "error" or confidence
> level in a tree?  I understand there are some outputs that indicate
> the percentage of bootstrap trees that give the final tree shape.
> Also- how does one interpret the vertical and horizontal distances
> in rooted dendograms as, for example, output from Treeview?
> -John Rodgers, a novice.
> Baylor College of Medicine
>
> ---

John,

You can check out the Molecular Systematics and Evolution website:

http://www.bioinf.org/molsys/index.html

where we have powerpoint presentations, pdf files, help files, manuals,
practicals, a glossary and more, relating to phylogenetic inference methods,
their biases, problems associated with them, and more.

James

--
Dr. James O. McInerney,
Bioinformatics and Pharmacogenomics Laboratory,
E:james.o.mcinerney at may.ie
http://www.may.ie/academic/biology/jmbioinformatics.shtml
http://www.bioinf.org/

---