Ne estimate when generation time is unknown

Victor DeFilippis vrdefili at uci.edu
Thu Feb 1 17:18:55 EST 2001

I'm not sure how frequently a problem like this is encountered but any help
would be greatly appreciated.  I'm working on some haploid population data
and need an estimate of effective population size (Ne).  Theta (2Nu) is
easy to get and so is mutation rate PER YEAR.  However, I have no
trustworthy estimates of generation time length.  Therefore I'd like to
know if it's possible to somehow estimate Ne using only theta and mutation
rate per year.  Seems like there should be a simple algebraic manipulation
to do this but my feeble mind can't figure it out...

Thanks in advance!

vrdefili at uci.edu

---