Lower-than-expected linkage disequilibrium

Gordon D.Pusch gdpusch at NO.xnet.SPAM.com
Sat Sep 8 22:26:48 EST 2001

Andrew Gyles <syzygium at alphalink.com.au> writes:

> My interest was in finding a mechanism that might have reduced sequence
> variation in humans compared with apes. I thought that biased gene
> conversion might have achieved this. However, one geneticist has told
> me that the evidence for low sequence variation in humans is very weak;
> if that is the case it does not have to be explained! But Steve Jones,
> geneticist at University College, London, says that there is less
> sequence variation between two human groups at each other's antipodes on
> the planet than there is between two groups of chimpanzees living 20
> miles apart in Africa, so I don't know what to accept.

ISTR reading a news article in (IRRC) _Nature_ in the mid-to-late 1980's
claiming that this reduced sequence variation can be most naturally
understood as being the consequence of the human species suffering
a near-extinction event in evolutionarily recent times, but prior
to the migration out of Africa ???

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = "gdpusch\@NO.xnet.SPAM.com\n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'

---