MrBayes - PAUP

David Hillis dhillis at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 5 16:03:12 EST 2002

Below Joe Felsenstein notes several hypotheses about the meaning of
Bayesian posterior probabilities. In a recent paper (Molecular
Phylogentics and Evolution 25:261-271), my co-authors and I show
support for Joe's proposal number two: namely, Bayesian posterior
probabilities are much better estimates of phylogenetic accuracy than
are non-parametric bootstrap values. We presented simulations of the
same type that Jim Bull and I presented in 1993 to show that
bootstrap values were strongly biased (Syst. Biol. 42: 182-192). We
found that Bayesian posterior probabilities were still somewhat
conservative as estimates of phylogenetic accuracy (in other words,
they still underestimate phylogenetic accuracy), but that they were
much closer than are bootstrap values.

--
David M. Hillis
Alfred W. Roark Centennial Professor