Ka/Ks ratio

Aaron J Mackey ajm6q at virginia.edu
Wed Oct 16 07:36:33 EST 2002

If two sequences are 100% identical (or, at least at synonymous sites),
then there's nothing you can say about the rate of synonymous
substitution, it's an unknown.  It's like dividing by zero, no matter how
you might think that you understand it to be "Infinity", it's just
undefined, full stop.

One method is to prune your tree of one of the "duplicate" sequences.  How
many nonsynonymous sites are there?  One or two?  Many?  I guess if there
are many, then you'd want to pursue this further in order to try to
convince yourself of positive selection, but if there's only a few then I
don't think you can say much and should just move on to other more
interesting comparisons ...

-Aaron

--
 Aaron J Mackey