Postdoc in computational molecular evolution

Mary K.Kuhner mkkuhner at kingman.gs.washington.edu
Tue Jul 22 16:35:38 EST 2003

The Felsenstein/Kuhner Lab is seeking a Senior Fellow to work with Mary
Kuhner on development of algorithms to estimate evolutionary parameters
from molecular sequence data.  This position is funded by the NIH for
two years with the option of a third year.

Our approach involves Markov Chain Monte Carlo sampling of genealogies,
a computer-intensive approach that attempts to take into account our
inability to be certain about the genealogy of a population.  Our lab's
central goal is to develop, test, and distribute computer programs in
the LAMARC package so that these methods will become available to
biologists.

The successful applicant will work on one or more of our three current
areas of interest:
* Estimation of selection coefficients
* Estimation of recombination rate and detection of recombination
hotspots
* Mapping of trait loci via linkage disequilibrium patterns

We are looking for someone who can take up one of our subprojects and
pursue it, managing both design and coding, though with ample support
and collaboration from the group as a whole.  The applicant will be
expected to help design as well as implement new algorithms.

This is a small, tight-knit working group with good computer support
resources.  The University of Washington is developing interdisciplinary
strengths in computational biology and this is an exciting time to work
here.  Our lab's previous work can be found at:
http://evolution.gs.washington.edu/lamarc.html

Applicants should hold a Ph.D. in biology, computer science, or
statistics.  Statistical experience is needed; phylogenetics or
population genetics will be particularly helpful.  C++ programming
experience is preferred, although candidates familiar with other
object-oriented languages will be considered.  Experience with large
programming projects is desirable.

Applications will be considered beginning September 1, 2003 and
continuing until the position is filled.  Please send a letter of
application, CV, and arrange for three letters of reference to be sent
to:

Gretchen Smith
University of Washington
Department of Genome Sciences
Box 357730
Seattle, WA  98195-7730

Applications may be emailed to ghsmith at u.washington.edu.
The University of Washington is building a culturally diverse department
and strongly encourages applications from women and minority candidates.
The University of Washington is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer.
---