Confidence interval on node age

Brice Quenoville quenovib at naos.si.edu
Tue May 27 15:43:16 EST 2003

Hi,

I would like to obtain confidence intervals for node ages (estimated with r8s or under the assumption of a molecular clock). From what I understand you can do so by bootstraping your sequence data N times, then estimate divergence time from each of these N replicates. Eventually you obtain a distribution of age for each node.
I only have a Macintosh to work with and have poor programming knowledge so it is likely to take me ages to do the above procedure. I checked Felsenstein web site and did not find any program that would do the whole procedure. I am just wondering if anyone could advice me on a not very long and efficient way to do the procedure. I am mainly familiar with Paup. Related to this procedure, what would be the best: use the   bootstrap matrices as the one Phylip provides, or use the ones provided for example by Seq-Gen (parametric or non parametric if I'm correct)?

Thank you for any input,
Brice

---