Evolutionary analysis Flavivirus

announcements at virtualgenomics.org announcements at virtualgenomics.org
Tue Apr 27 15:22:48 EST 2004

Virtual Seminar on Genomics and Bioinformatics

May 5 2004, 11am - noon Central US Time

http://www.virtualgenomics.org/seminar050504.htm

Genomic Footprinting of Flaviviruses
Willy Valdivia-Granda
Orion Integrated Biosciences, Inc

In the last five years the incidence of encephalic and hemorrhagic viral
diseases has been ramping in different regions around the world. It is
now evident that early diagnostics and vaccine development efforts will
play an important role in preventing and controlling outbreaks.
Unfortunately, the limitations in accuracy, sensitivity, and specificity
of current detection assays restrict effective surveillance efforts.
Several researchers have used microarray technology in order characterize
viral pathogens. However, most microarray designs have been unable to
select representative nucleotide probes and differentiate all species and
subtypes of a particular viral genus. This is influenced by the high
mutation rate of different regions of the viral genome and lack of
advanced computational tools capable to identify useful genomic
signatures. To address this situation, we performed a comprehensive and
systematic analysis of all publicly available sequence information of
hundreds of encephalic and hemorrhagic viral species. In this talk, we
present the result of the genomic footprinting of the Flavivirus genus
which comprehends more than 75 viral species including Dengue, West Nile,
Japanese Encephalitis and Yellow Fever. We will discuss the computational
approach and the biological relevance of the genomic signatures and their
correlation with pathogenesis, vector transmission, and geographical
distribution. Analysis of in silico hybridization patterns demonstrated
the value of our approach in the development of viral detection devices.

---