[Molecular-evolution] postdoctoral position

Artyom Kopp akopp at ucdavis.edu
Tue Dec 20 15:28:02 EST 2005

Postdoctoral position

Intraspecific variation in developmental pathways.

Dear colleagues,

We are looking for an exceptionally capable and motivated
postdoctoral fellow prepared to take the leading role in a study
aimed at connecting variation in DNA sequences, developmental
pathways, and adult phenotypes.  The three-year, NSF-funded position
can start as early as March 1, 2006.  Experience in population
genetics, bioinformatics, and analysis and management of large
sequence data sets is a big plus.

The goal of this project is to understand how DNA sequence variation
affects gene expression, and how differences in gene expression
translate into phenotypic variation, using the Drosophila bric a brac
(bab) locus as a model.  The bab locus, which consists of two closely
related transcription factors, is responsible for ~60% of genetic
variation in female cuticular pigmentation in a natural population of
D. melanogaster.  bab also affects the development of other sexually
dimorphic traits, including the sex comb, abdominal sternite
bristles, and terminal filaments in the ovary.  We will sequence the
entire 200-kb bab genomic region from 100 isogenic lines and identify
the SNPs and other molecular polymorphisms associated with phenotypic
differences among lines.  Simultaneously, population-genetic
approaches will be used to understand the evolutionary forces that
control the distribution of these polymorphisms in nature.  We will
then quantify the levels of bab transcripts in phenotypically
divergent lines, and use this data to understand the impact of
molecular polymorphisms and their interactions on gene expression and
development. Finally, we will analyze DNA sequence and expression
variation in the upstream regulators and downstream targets of the
Bab transcription factors to understand how genetic variation is
transmitted through developmental pathways.  The ultimate goal of the
project is to develop a predictive model that links molecular,
developmental, and phenotypic variation in natural population.

The project involves a close collaboration between two labs:  Artyom
Kopp's (developmental genetics/ genomics/ evolution of development)
and Sergey Nuzhdin's (quantitative molecular genetics and genomics).
The research environment at UC - Davis will offer the postdoctoral
fellow an excellent chance to interact and collaborate with many
other people working in the fields of evolutionary genetics and
genomics.  Northern California, where Davis is located, offers a
variety of recreational opportunities as well.  More information
about UC - Davis can be found in the links below.
Kopp lab:		http://www2.eve.ucdavis.edu/kopplab/
Nuzhdin lab:	http://nlab.ucdavis.edu/node/view/177
Evolution and Ecology:	http://www-eve.ucdavis.edu/
UCD Genome Center: