[Molecular-evolution] Qiagen centrifuge for 96 well DNA extractions

Gery Allan gery.allan at NAU.EDU
Mon Apr 10 16:25:42 EST 2006

Hi,

Does anyone use anything other than Qiagen¹s 4-15C centrifuge for performing
96 well DNA extractions (using the 96 well kit)?  My lab has an Eppendorf
5810R that does an okay job, but the rotor isn¹t quite right and it won¹t
spin higher than 4000 rpms.  So, I¹m in the position of having to either buy
the $10,000 4-15 from Qiagen, or purchase a $2000 rotor from Eppendorf that
will accommodate the 96 well plates.  The latter option still won¹t get me
to the 5600 rpms required by the Qiagen protocol.

Thanks much for any comments/suggestions,

Gery Allan

G. J. Allan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences
Assistant Director, EnGGen Laboratory
Northern Arizona University
Biological Sciences Department
S. Beaver St. Box 5640