[Molecular-evolution] Re: Reply to Faustino's proposal on evolution

Faustino Núñez Hernández via mol-evol%40net.bio.net (by faustnh from gmail.com)
Mon Nov 12 11:12:33 EST 2007

Hi Toni , thanks for your answer .

There was a wider discussion at
http://groups.google.com/group/talk.origins/browse_frm/thread/81f1816896164a27/38693ab6cbc29e62?tvc=1#38693ab6cbc29e62
.

I consider I have strong reasons for defending the definition I
proposed , but I've also learnt that it is useless I try to explain
those reasons .

As you can see at
http://groups.google.com/group/talk.origins/browse_frm/thread/81f1816896164a27/38693ab6cbc29e62?tvc=1#38693ab6cbc29e62
, I finally concluded it could be useful to consider a double-sensed
definition of Evolution :

- - Evolution , in the sense of biological capacity itself of living
organisms for transforming , varying or mutating , maybe in some cases
due to external factors but in general regardless environmental
conditions . Or evolution in the sense of biological capacity itself
for assuming mutations of transformations , independently of the
relation between these transformations and environmental conditions .
( Or , in short , evolution as the capacity of mutating itself , not
regarding environmental conditions ) .

- - And Evolution , in the sense of living organisms' transformation ,
change or mutation for (re)adapting to new environmental conditions
( evolution regarding environmental conditions ; this would be rather
the classic sense ) .

The first one of these two senses tends to evoke a short-term
evolution ( for example from parents to offspring , or from one
generation to another ) , while the second sense tends to evoke a long-
term evolution ( for example , from fishes to reptiles ) .

I'll finally add that , in my opinion , biological variability has a
clear relation to environmental variability .

And NO , I can't accept in any way the handling of the concept of
heritability , because it relies on the concept of reproduction ( exo-
reproduction ) , and it does not consider at all the mutation and
evolution of simple forms of life by means of endogenous ( metabolic )
regeneration ( that is , without exogenous separated rebuilding ) .