[Molecular-evolution] On a Proposal of Correction of Wikipedia's Approach to the Concept of Evolution

Faustino Núñez Hernández via mol-evol%40net.bio.net (by faustnh from gmail.com)
Tue Oct 9 19:31:07 EST 2007

Wikipedia page of Evolution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

The following proposal has also been included on that article's
discussion section : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Evolution

Important discussion needed: I propose a very important and necessary
correction to this article's base approach. (A new definition of
Evolution).

I copy and paste literally from the main article (first words of
Wikipedia's article) :

------------------
"In biology, evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a
population from generation to generation"
------------------

All the rest of the article revolves around this idea ; so the article
gives a central importance , for example , to notions such as
inheritance .

I consider that's not a sound definition of Evolution .

I propose here a much more sound definition or pro-definition of
Evolution . I hope you will understand it and accept it . Of course
I'm open to discussion :

------------------
(In biology) Evolution is the fact that living beings (that is,
species, patterns or homogeneous groups) change, transform or mutate,
to re-adapt to new environments, or to environmental changes, or to
new environmental conditions.
------------------

In short: to evolve is to change to re-adapt to a new environment.

So what has this got to do with the simple notion of Wikipedia, of
"change in the inherited traits of a population from generation to
generation". Wikipedia definition is not leaning in a substantive
manner on the idea of an own self change oriented to an environment
change.

The concept of reproduction is not initially necessary for the concept
of Evolution. I think reproduction occurs when living beings have
become so complex, that they need to rebuild theirselves separatedly
up from zero to be able to assume transformations; I think this is
also what made genes necessary.

But, on the other hand, very simple forms of life could use directly
their own internal metabolism, without extending it outside, to assume
self transformations or mutations, before new environmental
conditions.

The important thing of evolution, is the relation between a change of
the living being, and a change of the environment. The emphasis should
be on this, not on things like reproduction or inheritance.

I write some more detailed considerations about this on my blog, in an
article where I experimentally imagine the artificial synthesis of a
living being:

+ http://posteocuandomesaledeloshuevos.blogspot.com/2007/09/read-this-and-youll-be-immortal-nidea.html