[Molecular-evolution] Re: On a Proposal of Correction of Wikipedia's Approach to the Concept of Evolution

bob via mol-evol%40net.bio.net (by bbx107 from excite.XXXX.com)
Sat Oct 13 13:04:04 EST 2007

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 17:31:07 -0700, Faustino Núñez Hernández
<faustnh from gmail.com> wrote:

>Wikipedia page of Evolution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
>
>The following proposal has also been included on that article's
>discussion section : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Evolution
>

>Important discussion needed: I propose a very important and necessary
>correction to this article's base approach. (A new definition of
>Evolution).
>
>I copy and paste literally from the main article (first words of
>Wikipedia's article) :
>

>------------------
>"In biology, evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a
>population from generation to generation"
>------------------
>

>All the rest of the article revolves around this idea ; so the article
>gives a central importance , for example , to notions such as
>inheritance .
>

>I consider that's not a sound definition of Evolution .
>
>I propose here a much more sound definition or pro-definition of
>Evolution . I hope you will understand it and accept it . Of course
>I'm open to discussion :
>

>------------------
>(In biology) Evolution is the fact that living beings (that is,
>species, patterns or homogeneous groups) change, transform or mutate,
>to re-adapt to new environments, or to environmental changes, or to
>new environmental conditions.

The original definition, which you quoted at the top, is better.

It is difficult to encapsulate a complex idea briefly. Better to be
very brief, and then develop it.

The key problem with the proposal is the emphasis on adaptation, which
is only one small issue in evolution. The proposed def helps reinforce
the incorrect notion that amateurs have that all changes are
beneficial (adaptive), which of course is quite wrong.

bob