[Molecular-evolution] Introduction to Bioinformatics, October 2009

Heather Vincent via mol-evol%40net.bio.net (by Heather.Vincent from manchester.ac.uk)
Tue Aug 18 04:38:41 EST 2009

The online course, Introduction to Bioinformatics, is designed to
provide professional development for biologists working in a wide range
of different areas.  Students successfully completing the assessments
will receive a certificate from The University of Manchester.

Like all of our distance courses, it is delivered in a Virtual Learning
Environment that allows us to extend the classroom into the web.  We use
a range of tools to support our online teaching activities.

Teaching and learning are focussed around tutor-supported exercises.  In
this course, participants work together on the interpretation of their
results, before receiving feedback from the course tutor.

Week 1  		Introduction to distance learning
         		Bioinformatics as a knowledge-based discipline

Weeks 2 and 3   	Introduction to the sequence databases
         		Quality, redundancy and annotation
         		Sequence retrieval exercise and group discussion

Weeks 4 and 5   	Nucleic acid sequence analysis

Weeks 6 and 7   	Independent research and assessment

Weeks 8 and 9   	Sequence alignment and database search

Weeks 10 and 11    	Protein function prediction.

Weeks 12 and 13    	Protein structure prediction
         		Practical exercise and group discussion

Weeks 14 to 16    	Independent research for the second assessment

You will find information on all our courses, including fees and a link
to the online application form, here :
http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/index.html  If you have any
questions, or need advice on the module options, please contact
Heather.Vincent from manchester.ac.uk